I rarely have time to eat proper meals. Every morning, I wake up to a new day of same-old-non-stop action that comes with being Mama to Faith. Nurse, bathe, prepare and feed her breakfast, play, put her down for first nap, story time, give her a snack, play, nurse, second nap, prepare and feed her lunch, more play, nurse, third nap, play, give her another snack, play, prepare and feed her dinner, wipe her down, nurse and finally put her to bed. And then, there are the night feeds. I am bushed, even from reciting our daily routine but the point is there isn’t any time for a good meal until Faith is off to bed. Notice I don’t even need to worry about doing household chores and cooking my own meals…!
I have taken to shoving down food as quickly as I can and this isn’t exactly how I would like to chill. I end up feeling wound up from all that action, and munch on one too many chocolates to take the edge off. Besides, it’s an unbelievably efficient way to fill myself up. Just hold the baby in one arm and nom on chocolate with the other hand. This clearly isn’t healthy, and I would like to wean myself off the sugar, even if I don’t get enough time for a meal that lasts longer than three minutes!
What better way to do this, than to make myself a truckload of granola? Fortified with golden flax seeds, this granola is a superb source of vitamins, minerals, Omega-3 fatty acids and fiber. I have also very lightly sweetened it with honey, brown sugar and apple purée, and added some whole almonds and sesame seeds for that nutty kick, as well as dried cranberries for a tart lift in all that sweet-saltiness. I picked clusters right off the baking sheets, sprinkled them on yogurt with a healthy serving of berries, and even added tiny shards of dark chocolate whenever I craved for cocoa. Homemade granola is so very addictive and much healthier than the sugar-y treats I was constantly snacking on. I feel ‘cleaner’ already! Granola is also a quick and easy bite, perfect for busy folks who haven’t got the time to eat!
Now, my husband and I have hoovered the last of this batch. I am looking to tweak my recipe below to bake up granola bars next, which are perfect for when you don’t have any cutlery or serveware! Can’t wait!
450g rolled oats (I bought the wrong type so what you see in the pictures aren’t rolled oats, but either type will work! I just prefer the texture of rolled oats, that’s all.)
200g golden flax seeds
100g sesame seeds
250g whole unsalted almonds
2 tsp salt
120g dark brown sugar
2 tbsp sunflower oil
100g apple purée (just blitz apples in a food processor)
250g dried cranberries
1. Preheat fan-assisted oven to 150 degrees Celsius.
2. Combine oats, flax seeds, sesame seeds, almonds and salt in a large bowl.
3. Warm brown sugar, honey, oil and purée, stirring constantly to combine over medium heat in a non-stick saucepan and slowly drizzle over dry mix whilst stirring the mix constantly to make sure all of the granola is coated.
4. Line jelly roll pan with baking parchment and lightly grease the parchment with oil. Add granola to the pan, spreading to form a layer.
5. Bake for 45 min, stirring every 10 min. Add cranberries at the 40-minute mark.
6. Once baked, let granola cool completely and store in a clean, airtight container for a month. The granola probably wouldn’t last that long.