I AM TERRIFIED OF PESTS. Anything that creeps, crawls, lurks in dark corners, then comes flying right at me, completely freaks me out. I have invested in anything and everything to keep pests away from our home and our car, whilst making sure that ‘anything-and-everything’ are safe to be used around my children, and so far, so good…but that’s not to say that I don’t, at times, enter the car with simmering suspicion that I may be attacked by A COCKROACH whilst driving, which was what happened to me when I was driving a replacement car loaned to me by a workshop after this bugger (pun unintended) rammed into the back of my car.
My first car was almost a grand decade old and gave me lots of grief because it broke down pretty often. It was in a gritty state, because we bought it as a second-hand car for real-cheaps, so when the husband bought us a larger car so we could comfortably accommodate E’s car seat and still have room for human beings, I was determined to keep it in a pristine, or at least, hygienic condition. I went all military on everyone who would hitch a ride with me…”NO EATING OR DRINKING ALLOWED, UNLESS IT’S PLAIN WATER (and coffee for the man).” I was determined to keep roaches out because nobody likes to be attacked by a cockroach creeping up the leg whilst driving.
That said, I did not sent the car for any sort of grooming, not until recently when EA Detailer approached me to give their interior and exterior detailing services a try. This is because car grooming services can be expensive for the minimal amount of cleaning done and I shudder at the thought of having my kids sit in a car that has been exposed to toxic cleaners. I am not fussed about how shiny and water-resistant my car is, so instead, we use eco-friendly and natural cleaners to wipe the interior, keep pests at bay with a once-weekly spray-down using my trusted non-toxic insecticide, and do a soap-and-water wash on our own for the exterior.
As life would have it, kids climbing in and out of the car in their grubby shoes means that my car get dirty much too soon after a wash, and while grime can be mostly removed, I hope they don’t bring roach eggs into the car with ’em dirty shoes. There’s only so much we can do with surface cleaning and vacuuming. Our carpark can get drafty and dusty, so my car tends to be marred by ugly, gritty watermarks after the rain as well.
BUT! My car is now all shiny, pest-free, looks brand-new on the outside and inside, and smells wonderfully fresh, thanks to the outstanding detailing service by EA Detailer! I sent my car in to the latest branch of EA Detailer at Dunearn Road (housed behind Caltex, next to Barker Road Methodist Church) on Tuesday, and more than one week on, after a few downpours, my baby is still spotless!
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU SEND YOUR CAR FOR GROOMING AT EA DETAILER?
We started off with a very detailed consultation with the friendly staff at the spotless workshop. No stink-eye from staff who think women don’t know better. The space is so clean and bright that Faith, who was with me when I went back for the car, was happy to hang around. I don’t know about you but I have always been intimidated by the typical environment related to anything-cars; many a times, I find that people tend not to take women (let alone those with children) seriously when it comes to cars and are less than friendly (which explains why some ladies I know leave petrol-pumping, car repairs and grooming to the men in their lives). The staff at EA Detailer are, on the contrary, very friendly, warm, accommodating and understanding.
Numerous photos were taken by the very attentive staff to ascertain a baseline from which EA Detailer would work on. Problematic areas were highlighted, and I was given the opportunity to raise my concerns, which were eventually addressed by the different stages of detailing. Reasonable disclaimers are put forward, such as those concerning scratches that cannot be removed without compromising the integrity of the paintwork. I was also walked through the steps that would take my car from the state it was to being thoroughly groomed upon pick-up. I left my car for about 5 hours and returned to one that looks and feels brand new!
- To get rid of pests, if any. I have been doing this on my own with non-toxic insecticide and I did not see any pest in the 1.5 years I have been driving this car, but I was worried that roaches may lurk somewhere I couldn’t reach.
- To remove stubborn water stains from the fabric seats (these stains were made every time I tried to open/close an umbrella whilst getting in/out of the car and I gave up trying to prevent/remove them)
- To deep-clean and sanitise my children’s car seats because some parts (fabric/cushion) are not removable and I couldn’t completely wash them as a result
- To safely disinfect the car
- To remove as many hairline scratches as possible (there were so many pointed out by the observant staff and I was appalled at that)
EFFECTIVE AND NON-TOXIC!
As I understood, the cleaner, freshener, fumigation solution used are effective and non-toxic. The anti-viral surface cleaner and freshener used, for example, have been certified by Singapore General Hospital to be effective against a number of viruses, including a 99.98% effectiveness against HFMD. I was also very pleased to know that the anti-pest solution used during fumigation is an extract from a plant enzyme, and that it is bio-degradable and digestible. Moist heat and UV are also used to deep-clean and sanitise the car, reducing the amount of chemicals used. These were the main reasons why I agreed to having our car detailed by EA Detailer; safety is paramount when it comes to my children.
WHAT WAS DONE TO MY CAR?
(A) INTERIOR: 4-STAGE INTERIOR STEAM PURIFICATION
- Anti-Pest Bio-Fumigation
A plant-based anti-pest solution is loaded into a fumigation gun and sprayed into the interior of the car. The car is kept closed for about 30 minutes and during this time, pests (if any) will be forced out of their hiding areas and most will be killed. Those that aren’t killed should be weakened enough to slow their activities and these can then be easily caught.
1.5 Hydro-extraction Vaccum
A two-stage HEPA neutraliser filtration hydro-extraction vacuum is then used to remove nearly 100% of dirt and contaminants such as dust, dust mites and mold from the interior of the car. The technology used is certified asthma- & allergy-friendly by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.
2. Anti-Viral Sanitisation
After the pests are removed, the car is sanitised with an anti-viral cleaner that has been certified by SGH to be safe and effective against a number of viruses. It has also been proven to be 99.98% effective against HFMD.
3. Ozonic Treatment and Leather Treatment
Ozone is up to 3000 times faster and more effective than chlorine at killing bacteria, mold, cysts and inactivating virus. Micro-organisms also do not build up immunity to being treated with ozone. Ozone is approved for direct contact with food products by the FDA as an antimicrobial agent and granted full USDA approval with no restrictions for use on organic products. This primes it as the perfect candidate for sanitising the air within the car. It also helps to remove odour and cleans the air within the car following fumigation, to remove as much of the fumigation solution as possible.
The leather trimmings and seats within the car will also be cleaned, then nourished and protected with a Matt Dash Finish leather protectant to maintain its finish. There are only leather trimmings on my doors, dashboard, steering wheel and gear box areas, and my fabric seats were treated differently instead (see below).
4. Steam Cleaning and Tornado Intensive Wash
(a) Steam Cleaning (Anti-Dustmites)
Steam is shot out of the gun to dislodge dirt, grease and stubborn stains without the use of chemicals.
(b) Tornado Intensive Wash (Dirt, Dust, Stains Removal)
A ‘gun’ is used to propel water out at a high speed, and the jet powers through the surface it hits to further remove dirt, dust and stains effectively.
4-STAGE INTERIOR DETAILING IS INCLUSIVE OF BABY CAR SEAT SANITISATION:
Baby car seats will be thoroughly sanitised as part of the 4-stage interior detailing. The fabrics will be steam-cleaned and subjected to a tornado intensive wash, followed by physical sanitisation using the SGH-certified surface cleaner and hydro-extraction vacuum to remove all debris and bacteria that have been dislodged from the seats.
(B) EXTERIOR: 3-STAGE EXTERIOR GLOW
1. Foam wash
2. Claying to remove grit and grime
3. Compound Polishing to remove hairline scratches that aren’t too deep, and to restore shine with a protective nano sealant that will last up to 1-2 months.
The engine bay will also be cleaned up, rims and exhaust pipes will be polished. All door shuts, boot shuts, bonnet edges, fuel cap and crevices and gaps that a sub-par groomer might miss will also be detailed.
MY REVIEW ON THE SERVICES RENDERED:
- All these steps took a whopping 5 hours and I was initially very reluctant to leave my car at EA Detailer for that long as I really needed the car to run errands, go for appointments and to drop off and pick up the kids. I am now fully appreciative of the long period of time spent on getting my car back to tip-top condition, because when I returned to pick it up, it was clear that my car has gone through a complete transformation. EA Detailer had put in a sheer amount of effort into restoring my car, and that explains the length of time needed.
- The services can be rather expensive at first glance, but the good news is first-time customers get really affordable trial prices at only $128 for a 3-stage interior detailing service for a saloon car for example (lower if you go for the promotion given to my readers..see below!). I guess one could stretch out the detailing services required to maintain the car in a good condition. That’s what I intend to do, coupled with more conscientious maintenance on my part in between car grooming sessions.
- We have never eaten in the car, so it came as a shock that the staff found two baby cockroaches. I am beyond glad that we managed to nip the problem in the bud because we all know that roaches breed very quickly!
- Stubborn water stains (from rain) on my fabric seats have been completely removed, thanks to the steam cleaning and tornado intensive wash! We had plans to upgrade the fabric seats to leather ones, but it looks like we don’t have to now!
Before: Water stains on fabric seats
After: Water stains on fabric seats removed
- My children’s car seats are not completely washable as certain parts are not removable from the seats, so I am exceptionally pleased that the car seats have even deep-cleaned and sanitised, something that I couldn’t do on my own. This is included in the 4-stage interior detailing service. If you’d like to go for the 3- or 3.5-stage interior detailing but would like to add on baby car seat sanitisation, you can opt for it at $69 for one car seat and $120 for two seats.Before: Baby car seats harbour plenty of hidden dirt, much deeper from the surface.After: Baby car seats are thoroughly sanitised!
- The car is all clean and freshened up after all that sanitisation using the SGH-certified disinfectant.
- My car looks completely brand new with matt finishes done on the interior and the removal of most hairline scratches from the exterior. The paintwork looks stunning with all that shine restored to it! After a few downpours, no watermark has been left on the body of my car, thanks to the nanosealant that has been applied.After: My car is all glossy and scratch-free again!After: Interior of the car has been completely spruced up, cleaned and sanitised, with delightful matt finishes added.
- Even the engine bay and rims have been cleaned and they look brand new!
EA Detailer is located at a few locations, and if you are sold like I am for the detailing services, do take advantage of the promotion for my readers to try the services out! Alternatively, you can take part in the giveaway!
EA Detailer is giving away one 3-Stage Interior Detailing package to a lucky reader! This includes Anti-Pest Bio-Fumigation, Anti-Viral Sanitisation, Ozonic and Leather Treatment. Simply like their Facebook Page to stand a chance to win! Don’t forget to leave your FB username for verification purposes. Click on this link to join the giveaway.
PROMOTION for my readers: Click on this link to book either of these two options.
1. 50% Off 3-Stage Interior at $108 (Usual Price $219)
-> Anti-Pest Bio-Fumigation
-> Anti-Viral Sanitisation (Covers Physical and Air environment including aircon system)
-> Leather Treatment
-> Dashboard Treatment
-> Indepth Vacuum
-> Anti Mold/Odour Smell Ozonic Treatment
(Duration: 4 hours)
Take both 3-Stage Exterior and 3-Stage Interior Detailing at ONLY $198 (Usual Price $299)
(Duration : 4 to 6 hours)
*Additional surcharge of $50 applies for MPV/SUV/Large & Flagship Luxury Sedans
*I was gifted a 4-stage interior and 3-stage exterior detailing service by EA Detailer. No monetary compensation has been received. All opinions expressed are my own.